When is drinking alcohol considered a problem?
Every person is different when it comes to alcohol consumption.
Some choose not to drink at all while others drink varying amounts at varying frequencies.
One of the questions we get a lot is, “At what point is drinking alcohol considered a problem?”
The quantity and frequency will be different for each person as we all have different thresholds and it impacts our lives in different ways but here are a few guidelines to consider.
Symptoms to Consider
- Drinking beyond what you had planned such as having more drinks or drinking longer than intended.
- You’ve tried to cut down on drinking but haven’t been successful.
- Getting into situations where alcohol increases your risk of danger such as driving, getting violent, or emotional/physical abuse.
- Having to drink more than you used to in order to get the same feeling.
- Spending more and more time drinking.
- When consuming alcohol causes you to give up things that were meaningful to you (activities, relationships, exercise, etc).
- Alcohol causing legal trouble.
- Other symptoms including sweating, racing heart, anxiety, or withdrawal symptoms.
Viewing Alcoholism As a Disorder
In order to improve the situation, we have to first see alcohol abuse as a disorder. When it is treated as a harmless activity even after seeing several of the above symptoms, the problem can become worse.
Alcohol abuse is a disorder that may require a change of environment, a change of social circles, or even treatment at times.
Treating Alcohol Abuse Disorder
No matter how much someone is battling a substance disorder, there is always hope.
Some people find that they need the help of a support group such as Alcoholics Anonymous to work through their dependence on alcohol use.
If it’s a serious issue, professional treatment may be needed. Programs such as counseling, residential treatment, or day treatment can assist in the recovery process.
If you have questions about alcohol use disorders for yourself or a loved one, Arbor Place is just a phone call away. Contact us today.